Windows Embedded Compact 7 is a popular OS being used in low power embedded systems. Embien, working from its early iterations from 4.2 to latest 2013, has ported the same on to NXP’s iMx 6UL based development platforms. This blog demonstrates the Windows Embedded Compact 7 on iMx6 UltraLite with the video, show-casing our capability in porting such Operating systems to various processors and architectures.
Windows Embedded Compact 7
Windows Embedded Compact 7 more commonly known as WinCE 7 or WEC7 is the successor to the WinCE 6.0. Released on 2011, it is still one of the most popular versions of the Microsoft offerings for the embedded devices.
Some of the features of the OS include
- Rich User Interface
- Silverlight support
- Support for Symmetric Multi processing (SMP)
- Rich Media play back support
- Complete Win95 based shell
In a WEC7, is still more sought after than its successor WEC2013 because of better licensing options and more importantly the availability of the Shell. From WEC2013, Microsoft removed the support for Windows 95 like Shell that forces the developer to offer an equivalent shell which involves a lot of effort. Further WEC 7 can be ported on the non-Thumb2 only devices too.
WinCE on NXP iMx6UL
Embien offers its expertise in Windows CE for porting the RTOS on to various platforms. One of the most popular low cost SoC of recent times from NXP stables is the iMx6UL. This processor has gained a good market share at low power low cost computing. Some of the features include
- ARM® Cortex®-A7 @ 696 MHz, 128 KB L2 cache
- Parallel LCD Display up to WXGA (1366×768)
- 8/10/16/24-bit Parallel Camera Sensor Interface
- 16-bit LP-DDR2, DDR3/DDR3L
- 8/16-bit Parallel NOR FLASH / PSRAM
- Dual-channel Quad-SPI NOR FLASH
- 8-bit Raw NAND FLASH with 40-bit ECC
- 2x MMC 4.5/SD 3.0/SDIO Port
- 2x USB 2.0 OTG, HS/FS, Device or Host with PHY
- Audio Interfaces include 3x I2S/SAI, S/PDIF Tx/Rx
- 2x 10/100 Ethernet with IEEE 1588
- 2x 12-bit ADC, up to 10 input channel total, with resistive touch controller (4-wire/5-wire)
- Advanced Power Management
- Partial PMU Integration
Many vendors offers different development boards for the same. Some of the popular platforms are
- NXP – iMX 6 UltraLite EVK
- Variscite – DART-6UL
- Compu lab – SOM-iMX6UL
- TechNexion’s PICO-IMX6 COM
- iWave Systems – iW-RainboW-G18M-SM
- Embedded Artists – iMX6 UltraLite COM Board
Embien has ported Windows Embedded Compact 7 (WEC7) on to the NXP iMx6UL supporting all the major peripherals. Below is a video demonstration of the port running on the Variscite DART-6UL platform.
A video of WEC7 running on NXP iMx6UL Platform.
About Embien: Embien Technologies is a leading service provider in the Embedded software domain. Our team has rich experience in working with various OS like Linux, Android, Windows CE, FreeRTOS, uC-OS, QNX etc. We have created various applications on top the WinCE systems such as HMI, Medical instrumentation displays, Smart Home control system etc. We have also enabled running legacy Windows Applications on top of latest hardware and software including emulation over Linux using technologies such as Mono, OpenNETCF etc.