GR PEACH DESIGN CONTEST PARTICIPATION
We are proud to announce that Embien's engineers have been selected in 'Renesas GR Peach Design Contest 2016' as two of the Top 20 finalists.
Renesas along with Electronics For You conducted GR Peach design contest in which a large number of Professional Design Engineers, budding engineers and students have participated. The participants were asked to design a unique embedded system using the Gadget Renesas Peach Board. GR-PEACH an mbed enabled platform from Renesas is used in this project which includes high performance ARM Cortex - A9 core operating at 400 MHz with inbuilt 10MB RAM and rich peripherals such as SPI, I2C, UART, Ethernet, CAN, I2S, and GPIO etc.
For this, two teams of our engineer's participated and submitted projects called 'Intensive Care Terminal with GR-peach' and 'Production Management System'. On 1st September 2016, our team's abstracts are approved by Online Judges and teams entered as a part the Top 150 contestants. Later our projects were evaluated and moved on to the Top 20s on 16th February 2017.
INTENSIVE CARE TERMINAL WITH GR-PEACH
Intensive Care Terminal with GR-peach presented by Mr. Selva Kumar and Mr. K.S. Balaji.
In most of the hospitals no family members of the patient are allowed to enter or visit the patient who is admitted in Intensive Care Unit. Due to their very busy schedules the doctors and nurses have no time to regularly update the condition of the patient to their families. The main aim of our project is to create an audio visual interaction between the patients and their family members through a device and supporting the physicians to remotely monitor the patient's using live video streaming with interface options for existing patient monitor device for reading patient vital parameters such as ECG, SpO2, NiBP, CO2, temperature, etc.
To enable remote monitoring by doctors and patient family interactions, the project includes two units namely Remote unit and Bedside unit. The bedside unit includes suitable interface for patient monitoring device communication and camera, mic, speaker for audio visual interactions. The remote unit is extensively a battery operated handheld device supporting remote monitoring and audio visual interaction with families/doctors at remote site.
The bedside unit will be placed in a table with motor arrangements. With this setup, the location of the unit and angle (tilt and rotation) of the unit can be controlled remotely for better visibility.
The bedside unit has the following features.
- Display: TFT LCD with touch interface
- Camera: VGA camera with lens adjustment.
- Audio: Stereo Speakers with Mic interface.
- Cloud Connectivity: Ethernet connectivity between Wi-Fi router and the remote unit.
- Patient Monitor Interface: Multiple options such as UART, USB and Ethernet.
- Emergency Switch: To send an emergency alert to the Remote unit in case of any emergency during the absence of physician an emergency switch is added to the device by GPIO.
- Motor Control: An additional circuitry is added to control the position of the bedside unit which is mounted on the table with electric motor.
- Cloud Server: A Cloud server is used to store the data and retrieved on remote side.
For demo purpose, the tablet is used as a remote unit with a custom Android App called ICT App. The ICT App supports live communication with the inbuilt camera and audio. The patient vital parameters are graphically represented as it is displayed in the patient monitoring device. Navigation buttons are supported for table motion and viewing angle control.
The following block diagram illustrates the Intensive Care Terminal setup.
The following figure depicts the screen shots of the ICT app with patient vital parameter readings fetched from the cloud.
PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Production Management System (PMS) presented by Mr. Dhananjayan and Mr. Karthick.
Small Scale manufacturing industries normally use manually operated types of machinery for manufacturing their products. The foremost aim of any industry is to improve their production with respect to time. The high productivity within short period involves proper planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the production process which is called Production Management. In the PMS project we made the Production Management at its ease with RZ/A1H.
This project is based on the Cloud based Production Management System which acquires and process the data from IO modules and visualize some parts of processed data locally and the complete result on cloud database.
The PMS project includes the following modules,
- Press monitor with multiple sensor interface - Placed in every machines and acts as a data acquisition device.
- Integrator and cloud gateway - Functions as a integrator/cloud gateway which accumulates the data from multiple press monitors and push it to the cloud. Also acts as a HMI with LCD/navigation keypad for feeding the operator and machine status.
- Cloud server - To store the data's received from the gateway. All the computing tasks and data analytics with intelligent algorithms are performed in the cloud. The results of the analytics are logged in the cloud database in such a manner that it can be view in the Android application graphically.
- PMS App - an android application with graphical widgets to represent the results of cloud analytics and supports live streaming of factory floor.
For demo purpose, both the press monitor, integrator/cloud gateway are realized using GR-Peach board which support ADCs for sensor integration, Ethernet for cloud connectivity, camera interface for floor video capture.
The major functionalities of production management system is as follows
- Data Acquisition: The data's are acquired from the sensors mounted on the machinery such as temperature sensor, pressure sensor etc.
- Visual Monitoring: To enable visual monitoring without exploit the cloud storage instead of live streaming we use single shots of the site periodically and uploaded to the cloud.
- Cloud Integration: The data acquired are uploaded to cloud storage via a WiFi router.
- Cloud Analytics: All the production data are available in the cloud which helps to monitor the performance of employees. The previous data can be used to predict the expected production and analyze the inventory requirements and downtimes. It can also be used to automatically send a message to the customer regarding the proposed date of delivery.
- Emergency alarm: In case of any emergency such as unusual temperature rise or fault in any machinery there is an emergency alarm which notifies the need of manual supervision and this information is also uploaded to the cloud.
- Announcement: Announcement system is added to give any audio alert at the site triggered from the local site or remote site. I2S interface is used.
The following block diagram illustrates the functional overview of Production Management System.
The following picture represents the dashboard of the App with multiple widgets to graphically represent the production, operator status, etc.
We were invited to showcase our projects at the live event organized on 2nd March 2017 at Leela Palace, Bangalore. Though unable to win in the GR Peach Design contest, our team's efforts were appreciated and were a head-turner in the demonstration.